Thursday, October 30, 2008

Disability and Unemployment



Working at a facility that is state funded, I come across individuals that have no means of paying for their stay at an inpatient unit (let alone pay for their prescribed meds). Upon many assessments, I have asked patients if they will go back to a job or if they will try to find one after discharge. Up until this point (which has only been 2 months) I have yet to have someone is able to go back to work. Here are the excuses:

  • I have a mental disability that inhibits me to maintain a job (i.e. schizophrenia, psychosis, drug induced mood disorders, borderline personality, etc.)
  • If I get a job, then the government won't pay me unemployment, so I can't have a job. No job, get meds. Have job, buy meds yourself.
  • Why should I get a job? My mom gets welfare and I am living with her, we are doing ok. There is no reason I need a job when we get paid by the government anyway.
Does this not make you angry? I understand excuse #1; there are people so ill that they will be unable to have a job even if they tried (i.e. responding to internal stimuli, having hallucinations that can impair judgement, etc.). However, excuses #2 and #3 make me so angry...not at the patients, but at the government!

I'll break it down for you. The government says "Hey, it looks like you can't work because your diagnosed with a mental disorder. We'll save you! We'll tax the middle-class and upper-class society in order for you to stay home all day and have as much benzos, anti-depressants, and hallucinagens as you need." Don't let me say, don't let me say it....ahh, pity...WE'RE GOING TO REDISTRIBUTE THE WEALTH. Everything is equal here.

Does this sound fair?!? Let me tell you, if there is anyone who has a heart to help these people, it's me. I want to work with them and help them make decisions to choose the right way in their recovery. But we can't allow the government to give them a crutch! They will fall down again and again knowing that they will never hit rock bottom. Are you as angry as I am? I hope so.

What can we do? VOTE! Do not raise taxes of any sort. Even if they make you believe "But it's for the children". That's a load a crap. Here's a way to help the children...Vote for education vouchers to be given to any citizen in order to either send their child to a better school, private school tuition payments, or home school financing. Freedom of choice. I think I remember reading that in the Constitution somewhere.

Comment if you will. Call me a conservative red neck, who holds onto her religion and guns. But remember, it's your money.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment