Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Renew Your Mind


This morning I went to a session at the Renew clinic. If you don't what that is, it's an outpatient eating disorder clinic (like one that I want to start!). I went because I have established a relationship with the facility to, hopefully, begin a music therapy program.

The session was great. A small group of women discussing life. Not food, not specific eating disorder behaviors, but life. You see, eating disorders (or any mental health issue) is not about the title of the diagnosis (ironically), but about the underlying issues which brought about that behavior. These women were from all backgrounds and cultures, but they were able to communicate due to one common factor.

The way the therapist took the session was also an inspiration. She began the group by reviewing the last session and suggested they started the homework aspect, but one girl brought up a current issue and the group began to focus on her concerns. The therapist took the group in the way the group wanted to go, which is amazing....not many therapist are willing to do that.

Whether I am able to practince music therapy at this facility, it was still a great experience and motivated me to continue to pursue my dreams.

Jen C.

No comments:

Post a Comment